Thursday 26 July 2007

Sí, tampoco los muertos retoñan, desgraciadamente..

I remember the evening last year when I bought the Burial album, and I put it on when I went to bed, and I just couldn't believe that somebody had recorded sounds quite like the ones I was hearing. The album seemed suspended, I didn't know where it began or where it ended, I didn't know when I was awake or when I was asleep.

When I got up the next morning, the world was drizzly, but I felt comfortable, with that melancholy, introvert, curious yet unimpressed interest in life and everything that was going on, the sensation that everything was utterly absurd. I had the perfect album for the life I was living. Drizzly South London beats in a drizzly South London town. I headed in to Croydon, lost among sounds of ghosts from the past... It was like this kid had just dug up all the graves, only to throw dirt back over them again. Those drums, those vocals, and that mood he was capturing. How could it be done?

That was the day that things changed.

East Croydon Train Station, Thursday October 5 2006

And now he's come back with some more beats, and it's all coming back to me again. The rain is with us once more, the drizzle has come back to accompany the beats, as once more I find myself stepping out and wandering around town, lost in a world of mystery and emotion...

Burial is just bloody amazing.

I discovered EL-B and garage at the same time. I heard his Brandy remix, then “Buck n Bury” and “Passage of time” - and I hadn’t even heard “Stone Cold” yet, though I’d heard of Groove Chronicles on something else I didn’t like. Then I heard “Stone Cold” and I was just like “fuck…”


And, yeah, El-B is totally ill too, and blatantly the grandfather of everything that's great about the London Underground.

- - - - -

The only thing that I know of that compares to this kind of stuff is the work of Juan Rulfo.

No comments: